PMP Exam Requirements
Besides a LOT OF HARD WORK, there are specific prerequisites for anyone who wants to write the PMP exam.
The 2 formal requirements are:
- Project management experience (at least 36 months* of leading projects within the last eight years).
- 35 hours of project management education
* If you don’t have at least a bachelor’s degree, you would then need 60 months of experience leading projects over the last eight years.
Approximately 1 in 4 candidates are audited, requiring the candidate to provide all the documentary proof for the requirements mentioned above.
PMI process to get from where you are to writing the exam
- Register as a normal user on Project Management Institute (PMI.org) website
- Complete your PMP online application (enter your personal information, your work experience and education)
- Wait for up to a week, to see if accepted, otherwise if audited: fulfill all audit document requirements
- 12 months to write exam (3 times)
- Pay exam fee ($ 555) ; book & write exam when you want to – you will receive an email with a voucher code which is used on the Pearson website when booking your exam
- Pearson VUE testing centres are in every major city or you can choose to write the Proctored exam online on your own laptop
- Write the PMP 230 minute, 180 question exam online or at a Pearson VUE testing center
- Receive immediate feedback (directly at the end of the exam) whether you passed or failed
Recommended preparation for the PMP examClassic Seminars Linkedin Article How to become a respected project management professional
PMP exam preparation classes
Make sure that the PMP exam preparation classes include the following:
- A PMP Lecturer who has five or more years’ experience training exam candidates in preparing for the PMP exam, and who has deep knowledge of the type of questions that will be asked on the PMP exam
- An excellent textbook/lever arch file which covers all the exam material in depth
- Regular interaction around potential exam questions
- Assistance with registering online for the PMP exam
- A simulation exam, which enables one to benchmark where one is at, prior to writing the PMP exam
- Accreditation – ensure that the exam preparation class you want to take is accredited
- A guarantee / warranty of some form which demonstrates that this training is worthwhile
Have a look at our PMP exam preparation course which covers all of the above, plus access to another 4 online PMP exams